Spring is wonderful for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can open windows for outdoor air and your energy bill is generally at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not turning on your heat or air conditioner.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy charges. Here are a couple of ideas for saving energy in Kingston and keeping costs lower.
1. Schedule Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system a yearly maintenance visit can help it run more efficiently and cut down costs. Switching out your air filter will help keep utility expenses down.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in newer cooling systems is a huge advantage for keeping your utility expenses down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s a simple way you can save up to 10% on HVAC costs. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Focusing on how to effectively use your thermostat is the easiest way to cut down on energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Consider it this way, the less significant the difference between outdoor temperatures and indoor temperatures, the lower your cooling bill will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a much higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty home.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your Space
You can do a few other things to help keep your house comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise in the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This distributes cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it passes through windows. Keep your house more comfortable by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny spaces.
4. Look Into Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats learn your routine and move the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also adjust the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy expenses down. If you conclude it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 613-817-1591 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the best fit for your space. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.