Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your residence, being cozy in your new room no matter the weather is important. However, they can make a unique situation for contentment. This is since extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most cost-effective solutions is to add a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Learn more about mini-splits and how installing one in your addition could be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, because they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they move heat to make your addition cozier. In fact, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for added rebates and reduce your energy costs for years to come.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is very useful if you have a room with special temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that are without ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s better than extending ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the exact cost will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system could become overworked. When your existing heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This may stress your system and make it fail faster.
- Your comfort may be affected. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could be reduced if your system is required to manage a wider area. Your heating and cooling may be less efficient, and your utility bills might increase due to the system needing to run more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like regular systems, mini-splits are offered in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you choose the proper size for your new area. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create big energy savings over its life cycle, which can be 20 years or longer when adequately tuned up. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the recommended model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Contact us at 613-817-1591 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.