Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is on? There's a strong probability there’s something wrong with your unit. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—troubles eventually. We're going to help you find out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling normally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is coming from, that's alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can learn more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be created by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is likely an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for further information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your outside unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about frequent air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without examining your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting down the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's an issue with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's best to get problems corrected right away. Calling a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.