When severe weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Service Experts Home Services by Enercare, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outdoors, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Home Services by Enercare prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Kingston, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Kingston or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 613-817-1591 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Home Services by Enercare through our online scheduler.