Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are a lot of potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that come from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide could be a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. This toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can make its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or the gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Kingston to purchase one. Ask us about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Our experts can provide more information, so go ahead and call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Kingston at 613-817-1591 to learn more.